Monday, January 28, 2008

Oh I just love Mondays!

Ok, so it's Monday and I am already not super fond of Mondays, let's just say that they aren't my favorite day of the week. This morning when I woke up it was sunny and in the mid 40's. It was a gorgeous day because the inversion seemed to blow over because the winds have been pretty strong the past few days. The weather man told us that we were going to have a rough commute to work because there was a winter storm warning in effect and it was supposed to really come down. I don't know about our weather men around here. I mean, half the time they predict snow its warm enough to wear your swimsuit outside and sunny. So we went to work.

I sit near a window and it was so odd, because one minute I looked outside to see the sun and not more than five minutes later the sky was black and gloomy and the wind was really blowing. I have never seen anything like it before. It's like in movies when the evil villian is about to appear and the sky gets all crazy, it was almost sureal. Then came the snow. Complete white out. I was talking to Chrissy on Instant Messenger about 10:45 and mentioned the storm. "It's not snowing here" she said. I said "UH, it will be VERY soon. Are the kids at preschool? if so GO GET THEM NOW". I think she could tell I wasn't kidding because she took off about 5 minutes later to get them early.

It was about 30 minutes later I got a from Nick telling me Chrissy had just called him in a complete panick. Her van had broken down in the middle of State Street and it was a complete blizzard. Cars were sliding all over the place and she was stuck. The engine just wouldn't turn over. As if that is not scary enough in itself, but she had all 5 kids in the car! No heater, no lights, no nothing. I told her to call the police and have them come park behind her with their lights on so that no on hit her and I would be on my way to help. I didn't take the Durango today so I was thinking "how and the crap am I going to get them all home?" She called me back to tell me her father in law was coming to tow her van, so I just headed down to get the kids and get them home safe. She was able to get her car started long enough to make it to the edge of the road, but the police left just after because there were so many wrecks they couldn't stay and help.

I was really nervous driving there. I have never driven in anything like that. I watched a guy in front of me do a 360 degree turn and land in the other lanes of traffic, several accidents were off to the shoulder of the road. There had been no plowing and things were a mess. My car does pretty good in the snow but I was still sliding all over the place. I finally made it there and we piled all 5 kids in my car. Chrissy has an 8 month old, then my 1 year old, a 2 year old and Ambria and Carter who are 4. It took me 45 minutes to get to Chrissy's house from State Street and 5400 South and my car was running out of gas and I was sliding everywhere! Let's just say when I got there I didn't attempt to go back to work and me and Chrissy just spent the day hanging out. Wow, what an adventure today was, but I am glad I could help her out. I can only imagine how freaked out she was breaking down, but then to have all of those kids too just made it that much worse. WHAT A DAY!

3 comments:

chrissy said...

Yeeaahhhhh, that wasn't very fun. But thanks for coming to my rescue and spending the day with me! And freakin' cleaning my whole house!!!

Sislers said...

That's just no fun! Sorry you had to go through that. The good side is you got to miss work and hang out for a day :)

Meredith said...

holy cow! that's scary! i'm glad you were able to go help her! ... and got a day off work!