Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'm Getting So Excited!

It's only a week until I start school. I am so excited, but I am also so very nervous. One question in particular keeps going around and around in my head. Where am I going to find time to be a mom and a wife when I work full time and go to school part time? Whew.

I have had some time to think about my decision since I won my scholarship, and after lots of thought I have decided to look at it this way. School is temporary. This is something I have always wanted - since I was a very young girl. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to do hair. It's in my blood! Not only that but it is FREE. I don't have to pay a dime. That is one of the major reasons I haven't pursued it yet. I mean it's not every day someone hands you $15,000 and says, here "go to school for something you love, and don't pay for it - it's on us!"

With that being said, I will just have to make sure that when I am home I spend all of my time with my family. Maybe it will help put into perspective just how much I love them and need them? I can do this, and I know I can finish and come out on top! I am so excited to learn how to do something that I love so much! I know it sounds silly but I told Nick it's almost like being drafted into the NFL.... ya know? He just laughs at me and smiles. Love that kid.

But it's not just about going to school to do hair - quitting my job and slaving away in some salon somewhere. Oh no, there is so much more! I have plans!

Over the years I have put together so many ideas of what I want to do when I graduate from cosmetology school. I don't want to be just your normal hairstylist working at Dollar Cuts, making minimum wage. That would be such a huge step down from where I am now, where I have fought so hard to get. Eventually, when I finish, and have worked in the field for a while, I want to open my own salon!

I have worked full time since I was in Highschool, and I have learned so many great things when it comes to the wonderful world of business. I have been a manager, a bill collector, an admin, a customer service phone rep, sold jewerly, a fry flipper, oh, once I even sold candy door to door for a while! But you see, I have learned so many great things at all of the jobs I have had. I can't help but think eventually I can use what I have learned somewhere else, and be one step ahead when I start my own company.

Yes, I understand I will have to start from the bottom again (going back to school, being the newbie, not knowing what I am doing!). I can accept that! I will start over, and work my way back up to the top. BUT one day - mark my words friends - one day I will do what I have always wanted and make that big step! And until then, I will just keep dreaming and work my butt off til I get there with the love and support from my wonderful, loving husband, and fantastic kids!

Wish me luck ya'll!

3 comments:

shayrae said...

You are going to ROCK the hair industry, you have my blessing and im so happy that u finally get the chance to follow your dreams!

Lorina said...

Good luck, I am so happy for you!

Erika said...

Thanks guys!