Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Boys vs. Girls

I was talking to my mom on the phone on the way home from work last night and she asked me if Kayden had started saying any new words lately. I had to stop for a minute and think about it. He says mama clearly, and da da but really, that is about it. This month he is 17 months old.

I have heard stories from others about how boys do things so much later than girls, but I never really realized how much later until I had a boy myself. When Ambria was little she did everything early, excpet walk, which she did right about a year old. By 18 nonths old the little smarty pants would say full sentences, paragraphs even. I remember driving in the car one day when she was maybe 6 weeks older then Kayden is now. The radio was on, and Black Eyed Peas "My Humps" started to play. Ambria said plain as day "Mom, turn it up, this is my favorite song!". I couldn't believe it! My 18 month old was talking, better yet, her favorite song was My Humps! haha.

I guess I am not worried in any way about him not talking, but it just amazes me how much slower boys are. I can tell Kayden is smart. I am starting to teach him where things are by asking "Kayden, where are your eyes, nose etc" and he can show me some of the things I ask now. I know he will do things in his own time and at his own pace. Just goes to show how different men and women truley are. Maybe womans brains are just wired differently and we just "get" things earlier then men do. I mean, that doesn't seem to change at all later in life, so ya, I think I'm sticking to that theory for now!

3 comments:

shayrae said...

you can also teach him sign language! leaira said her first word at 9 months, and I read a study that shows that kids who learn sign language are 30% smarter by age 8!

chrissy said...

amen, sister stocks. carter is WAY dumber than ash was at his age. :)

SHW said...

My son was slower to talk too but is very articulate now. Keeps up just fine with the girls.