Saturday, October 20, 2007

Saturday Afternoon

Well, we attempted to have the yard sale today. The last 5 Saturdays have been rainy, and cold and today really ended up being no differfent. We put up some signs last night in hopes that at least someone would show up. The morning started out a little warmer about 50 degrees and overcast but it wasn't long before we had to move everything in to the garage to prevent it from blowing away.

I was surprised how many people we had show up despite the weather being a bit cooler. I'll tell you what, the 4 years of spanish I took in school sure came in handy today~! We still have quite a bit of stuff left, but we made $180! So, not quite the success I had hoped for, but at least we got rid of some stuff and made a few dollars.

You know, although we didn't make the money I had hoped, I really did get an eye opener today and I was actually quite humbled by watching people scurry around and get excited about the things we had for sale.

There was one guy who found a pair of Nicks old Sketcher dress shoes and his face lit up! I watched him excitedly take off his pair of shoes, which were about 2 sizes to big, and try on Nick's old shoes. They looked like a perfect fit, and he seemed pleased. I sold him the pair of sketchers for $2.00. He walked away with a smile, and a pair of shoes that fit his feet.

If anything came of the yard sale today I think it was the fact that I walked away thankful that Nick and I are able to live the life we do. Sometimes I think we don't realize how blessed we are to have a nice house and be able to provide for our kids what some parents never have the chance to. Wow, what a day, and what a good feeling to be able to give some of our stuff to people who can't afford it. It really broke my heart to see how hard some of these families have it, but it made me feel good that I could help them out and give them some nice stuff.

3 comments:

Jill Petersen said...

Any leftovers? I'll give you $20 for the rest! lol sort of!

Erika said...

Oh, you wouldn't want any of my stuff- it's not your style. :)

Jill Petersen said...

OOOWWWW BURN on my end! lol