Friday, June 29, 2007

What a day!!!

We got home from work today and still no Taja. It was another day over 100 degrees. I knew that if Taja was outside, it wouldn't be too many more days of 100 degrees before he would have died. I don't know what it was but something told me he hadn't gone too far. I could feel it. I know it sounds cheesy, but I could feel him near. (yes, this is a cat we are talking about)!

I went outside and Zoe (our other black cat) followed me. You could see that she was very distraught and that she was looking all over for him meowing at the top of her lungs. It was cute to see how hard she was trying to find him. I checked the surrounding window wells in all of our neighbors yards (our backyards all come together in common land). I don't know how much I believe in psychic capabilities, but something told me to look in the window wells.

Then Nick and I loaded up the baby in the stroller and began to walk the neighborhood. If you have ever seen my cats you know they don't go far. Not unless Nick or I take a walk and they will follow right behind just like a dog. Other than that, they ususally don't even go out of the yard.

After going about a block radius around our house, I decided that we weren't going to find him and that I was going to go home and make flyers to put on our neighbors doors to see if that would help. As I walked through the backyard Zoe started to meow louder and darted under our neighbors deck. I was calling Taja's name and I could hear a meow. I know his meow, and I could hear him! I kept calling him but I couldn't see him anywhere. Our neighbors deck is about 8 inches off the ground. Just high enough for a small animal to crawl under. He was somewhere under that deck, but I couldn't see him. Now I am freaking out because it has been 48 hours without food or water and he is stuck somewhere where I can't get him!

As I looked farther under the deck I could see a covered window well. The deck had been built over the top of it. Somehow he had fallen down into the window well, and he couldn't get out. I knocked on my neighbor's door. No answer! So I pounded harder! Finally she answered the door and I am sure I was pale as a ghost! I just started ramblling "my cat, in your window well, he's in there, two days, no food, no water!" She probably thought I was losing my mind!

She let me in and took me downstairs. There he was, sitting down, staring at me like "mom, I can't get out!" We opened the window and I grabbed him and hugged him. He was so skinny! This is the fattest cat you have ever seen and he was skinny! I am so thankful I heard him meow or who knows when they would have found him or if he would have been alive. Their basement is unfinished and they don't go down there, so the would not have seen him.

So, I guess the moral of this story is trust your instincts because they are usually right, and don't let the stupid cats out of the house!


THE END.


6 comments:

chrissy said...

oh oh oh oh oh that is sooooo sad! well, i guess it's happy cause you found him, but man that poor cat!

Erika said...

I thought the chinese man accross the street ate him or something! He always jokes about it.

Meredith said...

oh wow! i'm glad you found him!

Jill Petersen said...

I know its a cat but he's still a part of your family. Thats so sad! I'm glad he's okay!

Jill Petersen said...

I know its a cat but he's still a part of your family. Thats so sad! I'm glad he's okay!

chrissy said...

ha ha ha jill that made me laugh so hard!