Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tolerance

Although I am ashamed to admit it, in my years of growing up I always had a hard time with people who were gay. It just never seemed right to me and I didn't like the thought of it. As I have grown older, and been around all different types of people, I have been introduced to many people who are gay. I must say that some of the most amazing people I have met in my life, are gay. As I got older I started to realize that there is nothing wrong with gay people, it's how they are, and how they chose to live their life. Who am I to judge them? Why should that make them any different then anyone else I know?

With that being said, I found out over the weekend that someone Nick and I know very closely is gay. Although it didn't come as a shock to me (I had an idea), it was very difficult for this individual to tell the people in their life. You see, living in Utah County, with the majority of the people being extremely mormon and having very strong feelings on gays, this individual is in a very tough situation. This person comes from a very mormon home, with mormon parents and siblings. I truley am so proud of them for coming out! I cannot imagine living my life in secret, or being ashamed of who I am inside. I only hope that others will accept them for who they truley are and not think any less of them or judge them. I wish there was something more I could do to help them feel accepted. :(

3 comments:

chrissy said...

That makes me so sad to hear about! What a hard issue to have to announce without the support of the people you love, and who should love you, the most.

Anonymous said...

thanks girl!
yeah it's me ha ha

Erika said...

You rock girly!